Kalwarbetta (Skandagiri), 68 Kms from Bangalore is one the hill forts amongst the Nandi Hill ranges. The dilapidated walls of Tipu's fort can be found today on steep Kalwarbetta (Skandagiri), near the village of Kalwara. History says this was a small but strong hill fort. It surrendered to British troops on 19 October 1791. It remained in British hands until the peace treaty of 1792, which concluded of the third Anglo-Mysore war.
This is a tedious trek as the hill is precipitous and high. The trek starts from the Papagni Temple at the foothills of Kalwara village. The fortress of Kalwarbetta is in full sight throughout the walk uphill. This steep and fantastic trek through a maze of dense shrub is highly intriguing. Kalwarbetta is a teaser. Just as you reach the fort wall contended that you have topped the hill, you see another ring of fort. No sooner you reach there; you will find another majestic fort wall waiting to be conquered. There are six such series of stonewalls protecting an abandoned temple on the hilltop.
There are 2 caves, one starts from the base and as per locals, leads to the temple at peak and another one is somewhere midway which is about 30 feet only. Both are yet unexplored, especially the first one. Local say that there are pythons in the caves and had galloped their goats at times. Supposedly, there are 6 Samadhi in that cave.
Note: Kindly try to make your bookings 5 days before the departure. Registrations for Skandagiri trek might be closed in advance depending on the permission availability from the Forest Department.
- Difficulty level : Difficult
- Trek Length : 8 Kms in total (Two way)
- Altitude : 1434 Meter
- Distance from Bangalore : 70 Kms
- Minimum Age : 8 Years
- Weather : 18 to 24 Degrees (March to June)
What is included in the tour
- Non-AC Transport
- Breakfast (Veg)
- Basic first aid support
- Instructor from BMC
- Permission from forest department
What is NOT included in the tour
- Anything which is not mentioned in inclusions.
- Personal medication (if any)
- One strong backpack.
- Water bottles (enough to carry at least 2 liters of water)
- Energy Food (Chocolate bars, flavored milk, Electrolyte drinks - Glucose etc.)
- Small torch with new batteries.
- Camera (Optional)
- Rain Coat (Highly suggested)
23:00 PM - Pick up from BMC, Indiranagar
23:15 PM - Pick up from Domlur Sky Walk, Opp to Domlur Bus Stop
23:30 PM - Pick up from Sapphire Toys, Richmond Road (Near Sacred Heart Church)
23:55 PM - Pick up from Esteem Mall, Hebbal
02:00 AM - Reach the base & rest in the vehicle for a while
04:00 AM - Start Trekking
06:00 AM - Reach the peak, & explore.
07:30 AM - Trek down to base and Depart to Bangalore
09:00 AM - Have breakfast on the way
11:30 AM - Reach back to Bangalore
Note: Drop points will be the same as pick-up points.
There is no Accommodation involved in this trek. We would reach the base camp at 2 AM and wait in the vehicle until 3:30 AM. We would have a short briefing from our instructor and start the trek by 4 AM.
Additional cancellation charges of Rs. 608 will be applicable on all the below criteria for Skandagiri, Savandurga, Chinaga Betta & Antargange Trek.
- Cancellation 7 Days Prior To The Date Of Departure - 80% refund.
- Cancellation 4 Days Prior To The Date Of Departure - 25% refund.
- Cancellation 2 Days Prior To The Date of Departure - No Refund ( Applicable for weekend departures only)
- Cancellation with carry forward of the amount for future event - Rs.250 (Need to be confirmed 24 hrs prior to the departure)