The Roopkund trek is popular because of the several climbing objectives in this area which include the beautiful trident peak Trishul (7122m) and Ronti (6078m). At a height of 5229m Roopkund is also called Mystery Lake because of the unusual remains of humans and horse bones around it. The route of the Roopkund trek passes through delightful alpine pastures and snowfields and offers magnificent views of peaks such as Trishul, Ronti, Nanda Ghunti, Chaukhamba among others. It is also the same route that's taken in the famous Raj Jat Yatra that's held once in 12 years.
Few important points to note before you decide to register:Click Here
What is included in the tour
– Trek equipment like a Sleeping bag, mattress, tent, kitchen tent, toilet tent.
– Nutritious, Vegetarian food
– Guide, cook and camp helpers.
– Tented accommodation
– First Aid
– Forest Permission Charges
– Insurance ( up to 1 Lakh )
– Coordinator for the trek
What is NOT included in the tour
– Any expenses of personal nature like phone call etc.
– Any air/train to reach Delhi and return from Delhi.
– Travel from Delhi to Dehradun.
– Any hotel accommodation.
– Horses with horsemen to carry your loads on the route.
– Your Accommodation or any other expenses before or after the trek schedule.
– Extra food apart from above mentioned things.
– Anything is not mentioned above.
– Backpack 35- 40 Liters (You can choose to send it with horse/porter at actual cost)
Things to Carry List :
- Backpack (55 – 65 L) with sturdy straps and supporting frame. Quechua Forclaz 60 is a good choice.
- Daypack (20-25 L) – optional. Useful for summit/pass day, handy if you want to offload your backpack on the trek.
- Trekking shoes – Sports shoes are an absolute NO in trekking. You need Traction on Snow and Sport Shoes with PVC soles hardly justifies the choice. Ensure the shoes are well used before the trek. Forclaz 500 and Woodland are good choices.
- 3 pair of track pants (at least one should be synthetic quick-dry kind). Or 3 pair of cotton pants with lots of pockets. Track pants are light and we highly recommend them. Plus when things get really cold then layers of clothes matter.
- 3 cotton t-shirt with collar.
- One full Sleeve Sweater. A fleece jacket would be an alternative.
- A full sleeve thick Jacket.
- 4 pairs of Undergarments.
- 1 pair of Thermal Inners.
- 4-5 pair of Sports Socks.
- Woolen Monkey cap/Balaclava that cover the ear.
- Light weight Rain Coat/Poncho (to escape a quick burst of rain).
- Hand Gloves (water proof).
- Sun glasses – Buy the one which will cover your eyes well. Choose from Black, Green, Brown. Blue coloured Sunglass cannot block UV rays.
Avoid multi toned ones too. Sunglasses prevent snow blindness, and are mandatory for treks.
- Sun Cap and/or Head-Scarf.
- Trekking Pole is mandatory.
- Light towel (a quick drying kind).
- Chap stick or Lip Balm.
- Cold Cream and Sun Screen Lotion (SPF 40+).
- 2 Water bottles (1 L each). Do not carry packaged water bottles.
- LED torch with extra set of cells/ Head Lamps (preferred).
- Personal Toilet Kit (minimal) and Toilet Paper.
- Small Repair Kit consisting of Safety Pins, Needle, Thread and String (mandatory).
- Slippers/Sandals (for walking around campsite).
- While there are adequate food provided on trek, some do feel very less energetic compared to others. So you can carry few energy bars, dry fruits, etc
- Camera, writing or recording material to log your experience.
Tentative Schedule :
Day – 1 Kathgodam to Lohajung (Altitude: 554 m, Distance : 250 Kms, 8-10 Hours Drive)
Reporting at Kathgodam Railway Station at around 07:30AM (Your expected to reach at Kathgodam on previous night). We all will meet up there & proceed to Lohajung which is around 105 kms but 7-8 hour drive (We will hire a cab at Kathgodam to drive to Lohajung & the costing will be shared among all the participants). Reach Lohajung, Introduction, Briefing & Overnight stay at camp
Day - 2 Lohajung To Didina (Altitude: 2550 m, Distance: 12 Kms, 5 to 6 hour trek )
The sun shines and the Himalaya looks very pretty and the birds are waiting to fly then all the trekkers start their own second day of the trek and in early morning they looks the beauty of the nature and Himalaya and then after all the trekkers starts the breakfast and starts the second day trek Lohajung To Didina Village its approx 8.5 KM from the Lohajung. Didina is the famous viilage for gadwall is local culture and it is a beautiful village located under the Himalaya and the altitude of the Didina village is approx 8,200 Ft and the Didina village is just the front of our base camp in this village and totally this village is famous for the home stay as well. After completing the second day of the trek the trekkers enjoy the night in Didina village and keep all the memories.
Day - 3 Didina to Bedni Bhugyal (Altitude: 3354 m, Distance: 10 Kms, 8-9 hour trek)
Acclimatization day at Bedni Bugyal.On this day, after breakfast we will do a leisurely hike to Ali Bugyal and will return back to Bedni for lunch. Overnight stay at camp will follow.
Day - 4 Bedni To Patarnachuni (Altitude: 3800 m, Distance: 6 km trek, 4-6 hour trek)
The trail starts climbing soon after Bedni Bugyal and goes past more stark vistas. The hot lunch at Patarnachuni is a welcome relief after the trek.
Day - 5 Patarnachuni To Bhagavasa ( Altitude 4298 m Distance 6 km, 5/6 hour trek )
The trial starts climbing till Kallu Vinayaka Ganesh Temple from there starts spectcular of Roopkund , Trishul,Nanda Ghunti etc .Hot Lunch at Bhagavasa rest for a day . If the weather is good and everyone is feeling good and strong then we might make an early attempt on this day. Overnight stay at camp.(Altitude: 5029 m, Distance: 8-9 km trek, 6-7 hour trek)
Day - 6 Bhagavasa to Roopkung and back to Bedni Bugyal - ( Altitude: 4786 m Distance: 18 km trek, 8-10 hour trek)
Trek Baggubasa to Roopkund 3 Km/5Hrs .The climb continues to the lake at Roopkund. While the route on the Roopkund trek will take most of the time, the return is a fairly easy descent.
Return to the pasture at Bedni Bugyal on the same trail that was taken on the way down.
Day - 7 Bedni Bugyal To Lohajung (Distance: 10 km trek, 7-8 hour trek+ Remaining distance will be covered by vehicle)
We retrace the same trail back to Laohajung .
Day - 8 Lohajung To Kathgodam return (Distance: 105 km, 8-9 hour Journey)
Depart from Lohajung to Kathgodam/Rishikesh (8 – 9 Hrs. drive). (We will hire a cab at loahjung to drive to Rishikesh or kathgodam & the costing will be shared among all the participants).
People who want to stay at Rishikesh/Kathgodam can stay on their own cost & others can depart according to their train/bus/flight timings.
1] There is a different permission charge for Foreigner & the difference amount should be paid by the participant on spot.
2] Itinerary can be changed, in case of snow, rainfall and landslides.
3] We advice you keep a extra day and plan your travel because the weather in the himalaya is unpredictable.