About the place:
Situated in Rudraprayag district of Garhwal region in Uttarakhand, Chandrashila peak has the highest Shiva temple in the world, situated in Panch Kedar Tungnath at 12,000 Feet. This is a beautiful trek, with difficulty level rated as moderate, the trail passes through forests and vast meadows, and offers excellent views of snow clad Himalayas. With a 360 degree view on top, you can see Chaukhamba, Kedarnath, Nanda Devi and Trishul peaks from the distance. This place is also good for skiers who call it as mini Switzerland in winter.
Chandrashila is a beautiful vantage point to experience Himalayas in a wide spectrum with the visibility of the entire Kedarnath range all around.
What is included in the tour
- Nutritious, high calorie vegetarian food will be served.
- Guides for the trek who will meet the group at Rishikesh and will be present with the group through out the trek.
- First Aid
- Cook and Camp helpers.
- Tented Accommodation with Sleeping Bag.
- All Permits.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Any expenses of personal nature like phone call, bottled water etc.
- Food apart from mentioned above in "Cost Includes" column
- Transport between Rishikesh & Chopta.
- Any air / train / bus ticket to reach Delhi or come back from Delhi.
- Camera fees if any.
- Horses with horsemen to carry your loads on the route.
- Hotel cost at Haridwar / Rishikesh
- Any thing not mentioned above
Things to Carry List :
- Backpack (55 – 65 L) with sturdy straps and supporting frame. Quechua Forclaz 60 is a good choice.
- Daypack (20-25 L) – optional. Useful for summit/pass day, handy if you want to offload your backpack on the trek.
- Trekking shoes – Sports shoes are an absolute NO in trekking. You need Traction on Snow and Sport Shoes with PVC soles hardly justifies the choice. Ensure the shoes are well used before the trek. Forclaz 500 and Woodland are good choices.
- 3 pair of track pants (at least one should be synthetic quick-dry kind). Or 3 pair of cotton pants with lots of pockets. Track pants are light and we highly recommend them. Plus when things get really cold then layers of clothes matter.
- 3 cotton t-shirt with collar.
- One full Sleeve Sweater. A fleece jacket would be an alternative.
- A full sleeve thick Jacket.
- 4 pairs of Undergarments.
- 1 pair of Thermal Inners.
- 4-5 pair of Sports Socks.
- Woolen Monkey cap/Balaclava that cover the ear.
- Light weight Rain Coat/Poncho (to escape a quick burst of rain).
- Hand Gloves (water proof).
- Sun glasses – Buy the one which will cover your eyes well. Choose from Black, Green, Brown. Blue coloured Sunglass cannot block UV rays.
Avoid multi toned ones too. Sunglasses prevent snow blindness, and are mandatory for treks.
- Sun Cap and/or Head-Scarf.
- Trekking Pole is mandatory.
- Light towel (a quick drying kind).
- Chap stick or Lip Balm.
- Cold Cream and Sun Screen Lotion (SPF 40+).
- 2 Water bottles (1 L each). Do not carry packaged water bottles.
- LED torch with extra set of cells/ Head Lamps (preferred).
- Personal Toilet Kit (minimal) and Toilet Paper.
- Small Repair Kit consisting of Safety Pins, Needle, Thread and String (mandatory).
- Slippers/Sandals (for walking around campsite).
- While there are adequate food provided on trek, some do feel very less energetic compared to others. So you can carry few energy bars, dry fruits, etc
- Camera, writing or recording material to log your experience.
Day - 1 : Haridwar to Chopta (180 KM Drive)
Reporting at Haridwar (Railway Station) at 07:00AM & head towards Chopta (8 Hours Drive)
Meet up at Haridwar Station by 7:00 - 7:30 am in the morning. A cab will be hired to drive to Chopta (cab expense will be shared among all the participants at actual). The drive will take around 8 hours form Haridwar. Over night stay in tents in Chopta.
Day - 2 : Chopta - Deoriatal (6 to 8 KM)
Early in the morning after breakfast, the trek stretches through a dense green forest and ridges. Spend some time exploring the surroundings. Trek back to Chopta followed by Dinner and overnight stay in the tents.
Day - 3 : Chopta - Chandrashila - Chopta (12 KM Total)
We will start early in the morning after breakfast and climb up the cemented pilgrim path up to the Shiva temple of Tungnath which is at the height of 12,000 Feet. From Tungnath, the trek continues till Chandrashila Peak. After resting and exploring at the summit, we will come back to Chopta to stay overnight in the tents.
Day - 4 : Chopta - Haridwar (180 KM Drive)
After the Breakfast, we will start the drive back to Haridwar railway station in a cab. (cab expense will be shared among all the participants at actual).